Entries by enuseradmin

Desert completes buyout of Ashanti Gold

Saturday, August 24, 2019 – 10:59:17 AM In a media statement, Desert said that each shareholder of Ashanti will receive 0.2857 Desert Gold shares for each Ashanti share held. In parallel, 21,097,657 Desert Gold shares were issued to Ashanti shareholders. The buyout increases Desert’s land position along and near the Senegal-Mali Shear Zone and Main […]

Ivanhoe, CITIC complete second major financing for Congo mines

Saturday, August 17, 2019 The financing, part of long-term strategic cooperation between the two companies, brings CITIC’s investment in Ivanhoe to more than $1 billion. Another Chinese firm, Zijin Mining Group — which became Ivanhoe’s partner four years ago — exercised its anti-dilution rights in May, generating additional proceeds for the Vancouver-based miner of C$67 […]

Platinum giant wants in on batteries to ease electric car threat

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 Anglo American Platinum Ltd. wants to develop a lithium battery that uses platinum-group metals instead of cobalt and nickel. The aim is to create a new multi-billion dollar source of demand for the metals as electric vehicles reduce the need for traditional fuel autocatalysts. Platinum miners have good reason to be […]

BHP boosts nickel reserves by 77%, gears up for EV market

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 Nickel West contributes just a fraction to BHP’s profit, accounting for just $42 million of underlying earnings in the December half-year, compared with $3.5 billion from its iron ore unit. After years on the block, BHP declared its nickel business core in May on the back of promising demand expectations from […]

Bacteria could be used to mine iron in space

Monday, August 5, 2019 Even though biomining is already a reality on Earth, with 15% of the planet’s copper and 5% of the gold extracted using this method, researchers Luis Zea and Jesse Colangelo want to investigate the performance of the bacterium Shewanella oneidensis for the extraction of iron from lunar, Martian and asteroid regolith […]

Glencore starts copper concentrates blending facility in Taiwan

Saturday, July 27, 2019   Blending of the dirty concentrates, or material with high levels of impurities like hazardous arsenic, with cleaner concentrates, make it fit for shipment to China, the world’s biggest importer of copper concentrates. China’s legal import limit is arsenic under 0.5% in copper concentrates. Glencore has set up this blending facility […]

Russian and Zimbabwe state-owned diamond miners form JV

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 According to Mining News Pro – Under the terms of the agreement between the state-owned companies, Alrosa will get a 70% controlling stake for the development of greenfield projects while ZCDC will get the remaining 30%. Official information states that Russian specialists have been working in Zimbabwe for more than three […]

Pacific Energy to power up Jaguar copper-zinc mine

Monday, July 22, 2019 According to Mining News Pro – The Jaguar mine, around 250 km north of Kalgoorlie, was first brought into production in 2007, with, Round Oak, through CopperChem, purchasing the mine, including the existing power station, in 2018. The operations consist of underground mines and processing facilities producing copper and zinc concentrates […]

Eurasian Resources is said to weigh sale of Congo mining assets

Saturday, July 20, 2019 China Nonferrous Metal Mining (Group) Co. is among companies interested in the assets, the people said, asking not to be identified as the information is private. Deliberations are at an early stage, and ERG could decide against a sale, they said.     Valuing the assets is difficult because of political risks […]